Monday 19 January 2015

Janathon Day 19 : Agh - Boiling over

Boiling over and not from the excercise ..... but as this is my #janathon exercise blog, first the exercise. An emergency trip to the bank in Torchiarolo due to the failure of another bank to execute a transfer was called for. Out came my trusty steed, the promised rains came in the night in the form of a massive thunderstorm but have gone away for now,  ... and set off for Torchiarolo. It's definitely time for a new bike, mine is nine years old and feeling it's age. The gears are stiff and take forever to react to a change. When they do it is with a big clunk. My first bike ride into Torchiarolo for quite some time.



And back again ....



I'm happy with that .... it was quite an effort. I think my self-awarded prize to myself at the end of this month, if I complete the #janathon challenge, is going to be a new bike.

After that two hours in the garden completed my efforts for today.

Boiling over? If you live in Puglia, and probably other Southern European countries as well, you know a visit to the bank can take a long time. I thought I had got lucky when I arrived at the bank and there was only one other customer. Sadly after he left the cashier decided he must do something else urgently before he dealt with me. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Until eventually another cashier came along. All I wanted to do was pay 150 euros into my account. You would think I had robbed a bank or something to get the 150 euros. My account name and details were all written down on a piece of paper which I handed over, saying I wanted to pay the money into my account. "ID" she snapped. I handed over my identity card. "This is your first time in the bank." was the next comment, all in Italian of course. Um .... I have had an account at that bank for nine years! "Well it is the first time I have seen you." Probably due to internet banking which, thankfully, works extremely well and avoids the need to go into the bank except on rare occasions. "I can't find your account." To which I politely pointed out that all the details were on the piece of paper. "It's not your account - the name on  your ID card is different." Oh bum .... this is due to the Comune di Torchiarolo insisting on including my maiden name with my married name to make my surname. They just cannot get to grips with the fact that in the UK a lot of women take the husband's surname. I explained this ..... and waited while, with much sucking of the teeth and long sighs, the cashier tried to get to grips with it. In the end I  handed over my UK driving license with only my married name on it .... and eventually she gave in and got on with it. Oh Puglia I do love you, but sometimes .............

Time for a much needed Italian coffee, something they do very well here, and at 0.80 euro cents for an Americano, a positive bargain.

#janathon stats so far
walking       58.51 km
cycling        23.75 km
squats         460
gardening   12.5 hours

#alchohol free in 2015 -  13 days (today is day 14 ... not tempting fate by counting it until after midnight!)

#weightloss2015        2.6kg

No comments:

Post a Comment