Thursday 29 January 2015

Janathon Day 29 : Looking Back - Looking forwards


We're over the hill and on the home straight now. 29 days of #janathon completed and just 2 more to go.

Looking back ...... I've walked more often, further and faster probably since four years ago. I've lost 5 kilos in weight. I've learned to appreciate that exercise does not just have to be traditional "sport" type exercise. Other activities count too. For me that is working in the garden. I can lose myself for several hours, moving in different ways, using different muscles etc. etc and enjoying being outside.

Looking forwards ..... what comes next? A fellow Janathoner suggested a Febathon. I'm up for that, anyone else? The discipline of doing something every day, and writing about it (nearly) every day has helped me keep up the commitment. Now it needs to be long term, a change in life style not just a 31 day challenge. As another fellow Janathoner and #ukfitnessblogger pointed out to me

"It's a marathon not a sprint!" **

I need to stop focusing on the fact that I am unable (yet) to start including some running, and focus on the fact that at least every other day I'm walking 8+ km, pushing myself further and further each time.

I need to stop focusing on the alternate days when I can manage only 4k or 5k or some other form of exercise.

I need to focus on the fact that I am fitter, feeling better, clothes are starting to fit better and not on the fact that I still need to lose another 10 kilos.

I don't need to beat myself up because I had a few glasses of wine on one day. I need to pat myself on the back for being alcohol free for 23 out of 24 days.

It's about regular exercise not a competition.

It's about healthy eating not dieting.

"It's a marathon not a sprint!" **
Thanks ** Colin Chambers for the marathon / sprint advice and for the encouragement, thank you all for the motivation!

Today's effort



#janathon stats so far
walking             104.86 km
cycling                23.75 km
squats                510
gardening           18.0 hours

#alchohol free in 2015 - 23 days

#weightloss2015 5kg ( at the end of  four complete weeks )

No comments:

Post a Comment